Sunday, March 22, 2009

A tribute...


As one of my favorite songs from the musical Wicked says,

"I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn, and we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them, and we help them in return..."
This post is dedicated to one of those people in my life:

This weekend, I had the opportunity to go to California to see my roommate, Katie, marry the man of her dreams. Roommate...that word doesn't even begin to describe what Katie means to me.

Katie and I grew up in the same home town, but we managed to avoid becoming friends with each other until we moved to BYU for college and ended up on the same floor of the dorms. Since then, we have often we have often joked that it took moving a thousand miles for us to become best friends.

I spent the majority of my college years goofing around with Katie, her twin (Kristy), and our other best friend/roommate (Holly). These girls are responsible for so much of the person that I am today. They helped me get out of my comfort zone, talked me through the hard times, celebrated the good times, made blanket forts and bread with me, and engaged in a host of other random activities. They were constant examples to me of the kind of person I wanted to be, and we encouraged each other to improve ourselves.

After Holly and Kristy got married in 2007, Katie and I developed a deeper bond as friends. For the last year and a half, I have shared my room and my life with this girl. I have learned from her and simply enjoyed having adventures with her. Katie is dedicated to her work, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and her family. She is level headed and logical. She doesn't worry about things that don't matter. She does what needs to be done and takes a matter-of-fact approach to life. She is passionate about making people feel loved and has no desire to build herself up in front of other people. She is happy to serve quietly in the background. For all of these things, and many more, I admire her.

Now, as she embarks on this new adventure of marriage, I have every confidence that she will employ these same characteristics to have a happy home for many years to come. I am grateful that she has found a man to complement her in every way. They are not perfect, but they are perfect for each other.

May every happiness be yours, Katie. I think you're off to a good start...

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Katie is good for you and we all know that things change, but the great thing about her (and the other girls) is they have continued to be your friend. They didn't fall off the Earth so Katie will be around for a while (even if it isn't the same). You are a great friend and the girls are luck yo have YOU in their lives.

Holly June said...

Okay, so I'm crying now after reading that post! Katie looked SOOOO beautiful. I love the picture of Drew picking her up. She looks so happy. And Megs, you look beautiful as well. I wish so badly that I could have been there. I miss you girls more than I can say or express!! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I had been DYING to see them. :)

Kristy said...

Thanks for the beautiful post, Meg! We love you so much. Isn't wonderful to reminisce about the good ol' days (not so long ago) when we were all roomies?!? It was fun hanging out with you at the wedding and we should definitely keep up the tradition. PS- I already miss the warm weather!

katie said...

Is it too late to leave a comment to your blog? You shouldn't have told me to read your blog at work. I just want to cry. You have a way of expressing yourself so much better than me. I feel all of those things for you. I am happy in my new adventures, but am glad that I don't have to completely give up the past. I take a part of all of you with me and all of the fun adventures that have made us into the people we are. I love you so much and miss you already! Thanks for your example and being you!