Thursday, March 26, 2009

Confession...

When I was little I had an addiction to stuffed animals. I had 30-40 (maybe more) that I kept in the corner of my room, arranged carefully. Then, there were the "special" ones that actually sat on my bed--about 15 that I lined up from tallest to smallest. Yes, I was a somewhat overly organized child. I even had a birthday party one year where my best friend and I brought out all of our teddy bears (which was quite a passel) and pretended like they were guests, too.

Although I have outgrown most of my stuffed animals, I still keep two that I've had since before I can remember. My siblings and friends tease me about my bear and rabbit (yes, the brown one is a bear, not a mole): Snuffy and Matilda.


I know they are old, worn, dirty, and altogether not terribly nice looking. Still, they retain a place of prominence on my bed and I sleep with them every night. Call it habit; call it a security blanket of sorts; I just really like them. They're cute, snuggly, and comfortable. I have held them many times to cry, have thrown them at siblings who were being annoying, and have been comforted after a nightmare by their presence. I know they are simple and childish, and I'm okay with that.

I'm sure the day will come that I do not snuggle with them every night. But, I hope that someday I'll be able to hand Snuffy to my son who just had a nightmare, or I'll make Matilda's ears wiggle for my daughter like my brother always did for me when I was sad.

It's amazing how the simple things in life bring us joy.
:)

7 comments:

Robyn said...

I liked when Matilda's ears wiggled too. I have fond memories of those tattered stuffed animals and I sort of wish I had brought mine out with me when I moved. Though I guess I am lucky enough to have my own Jeff bear to snuggle with. He is cuter then the stuffed animals.

Holly June said...

Oh, Matilda and Snuffy! How I miss them! Memories....

Unknown said...

Memories! I had forgotten about the b-day episode although I do remember some fun times with Matilda at State History Day... oh how I miss the simple joys of childhood.

Jeff said...

My stuffed animals were very important as a child as well. I remember one time I got up extra early for Saturday morning cartoons so that I would have time to set all my animals on the couch next to me so that we could all watch together.

Paul and Susan said...

I still have a tiger that uncle Ron gave me when I was three. His whiskers are all gone now and he's a bit worn out, but he is still a comfort to me and brings back fond memories of my childhood.

Carol said...

Ok, some very sentimental tears were shed as I read your post. Snuffy and Matilda remind me of the little girl who would snuggle on her dad's lap after dinner and sat on the kitchen counter while I cooked dinner...talking and talking. You may be grown up now but it's good to know my sweet youngest daughter still keeps part of her childhood within her.

Ann said...

I'll never forget the time you brought Matilda (who was brand new) on the plane when you, Kevin, and I flew to Washington. I was around 13, and you were 1, and the security guard took Matilda to squish her and check for contraband... explosives... whatever! Did we look so suspicious?