Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Daring Adventure


Helen Keller said, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Now, I don't think life is always supposed to be exhilarating and exciting; sometimes life is made up of simple, mundane days, but I think her point is that even the "regular" days come together to form the adventurous path that becomes a lifetime. Life is an adventure, and we need to treat it as such by looking for the lessons, the challenges, and pushing ourselves outside of our familiar world. Being adventurous and trying new things is part of the fun and is necessary to our growth.

This weekend, I definitely had an adventure! I went down to Arches National Park for a whirlwind tour of the red sandstone rock formations. I have lived in this state for almost 8 years now, and I had not yet been to ANY of the national parks. I thought it was long past time to remedy that.

We left Friday at 4:10 p.m. and got back at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday. In those 28 hours, we hiked more than we slept, and drove more than we hiked. While I would have liked more sleep, I was in awe at the beauty of the landscape and felt like a five-year-old on a jungle gym as I scrambled over the boulders and up the crevices of slot canyons. I think I am overall more of a fan of the green, tree-filled forests, but this red rock desert was beautiful and definitely worth the trip to see such a unique place.

Delicate Arch at 1 a.m.

The underside of the arch. I love the stars in the background and I love my sister's awesome camera for being able to capture this!

The "Fiery Furnace". In person, the rocks look brilliantly orange when the sun hits them.

Me climbing.

Yes, I did fit through that space. Crawling was my friend.

Really cool sandstone texture.
Don't you want to go have your own adventure now?

5 comments:

Jeff said...

It was a great adventure. Beautiful sights with great people, you can't get much better than that.

Robyn said...

It truly was a great experience! I am so glad I had the chance to experience it with you! The place and the people were what made it "epic", as Jared might say.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tim Larsen said...

I was making sure this was your blog when I saw the address. Yes. This is Megan Wright's blog. I love it! I love your quotes and am glad you are having fun. And for the record, I lived in Utah for 23 years before seeing Arches. It's amazing.

Paul and Susan said...

I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit this national park. Paul has been there, but I never have.