Tuesday, April 14, 2009
On a Whim...
Last weekend was Spring break for me, and while I had planned to lay low and sleep a lot, I got a last minute chance to go to California for a few days with friends. I very rarely do big things spontaneously, but I decided this was worth going out on a limb for. And, I'm happy to report that it was worth every bit of sleep that I lost! Here are some of the highlights...
1. Reliving a childhood of fun memories at Disneyland. I thought it would be crazy with crowds because of Spring break, but we managed to go on all the big roller coasters and never waited more than a 1/2 hour. How's that for good timing?!
2. Conquering motion sickness. Well... kind of. I wasn't smiling quite as big at the end.
3. California poppies (at the Getty Museum)--they're so HAPPY!
4. When girls are little, they dress up dolls; when they grow up, they dress up boys! (The boys secretly enjoyed it, too, and they walked away with some great clothes!)
5. Watching the sunset over the ocean...few things are more beautiful.
5. Squishing myself into a kiddie ride on the Santa Monica pier. Even better, watching everyone else do the same, especially the boys!
Hmmm... I think these hermit crabs need bigger shells.
6. Dancing anywhere is a good idea, but dancing barefoot in the surf to music only I can hear with waves breaking around my feet...perfect.
7. Exploring caves and scaling rock faces...in a skirt, no less!
8. An Ariel moment: just think, "Part of Your World--Reprise."
9. The whole gang (at the top of the cliff we climbed up)
10. Taking in the view...and what a view it was. (Incidentally, this picture was taken on the ferry over to Balboa island to eat dinner at Ruby's Diner. It's a great spot, even if we did almost miss our flight because of the detour.)
But, sooner or later, you have to go home...and there is nothing like your own bed!