Saturday, April 4, 2009

My new purchase...

I'm really excited. I have been looking forward to buying this particular item for quite some time. Some girls are crazy about shoes, others save up for purses. I, on the other hand, splurged on saffron.

If you're in my family, you know exactly why this is a big deal, especially at this time of year. If you have no idea what saffron is, let me explain. Saffron is one of the lesser known spices. It is the world's most expensive spice by weight, so I don't buy it often...or, ever, really. But, it is an essential ingredient in Russian Easter bread, kulich. I remember eating this just about every year growing up, and I loved it!

Stay tuned next week for a report of my cooking adventure!

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I love the abundance of Wiki links. That makes me so happy. So Robyn was telling me about Saffron and I said, "I love sapphires." Then she tried to let me know that it is a spice called Saffron. I said, "Zac Efron?" I thought it was funny, but it turns out I'm a dork.

Carol said...

It just makes me smile to know that the traditions like Easter Bread are being carried on in our family. Happy Baking and Eating. I'm making mine tomorrow!

Robyn said...

I have been given permission to make my own Easter Bread which means I will be buying my own bit of saffron. Jeff is excited to taste the bread, so I hope I can do it justice.