Thursday, November 13, 2008

One More Quote

I can't resist adding one more quote to my previous blog. In fact, I like this one so much that I'm going to give a little explanation for it, too.

The quote below comes from the book The Last Lecture. I heard about this book a few months ago and bought it for my best friend for her birthday. Being the classic book-aholic that I am, I had to read it before I mailed it to her (Sorry, Steph, I know that's bad manners. I can't help it. The book was calling to me). I read it in one day, during which time I cried before I even finished the first page, laughed out loud several times, and set some new goals to enjoy my life more. It is a phenomenal memoir that inspires me to be bold and believe that I CAN do whatever I set my mind to accomplish.

One statement in the book hit me particularly hard, and it has been rattling around in my head ever since. Here it is ...

"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people."

~Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

4 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

meg. I love this. I need to go read this. mind if I use this quote on my blog too??? I have been LITERALLY thinking about that VERY THING. brick walls. thanks my dear. you were inspired:) miss you!

Ann said...

That is amazing!
You know I've been trying to read this book for months! I'm still on the waiting list at the library. I keep stopping in the book section at Target to read a bit more. I'm just going to have to break down and buy the thing!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm glad my b-day present got double enjoyment. (huh, it's your b-day today... if it comes used you'll know why ;) On another note, it's been great to read your blog... you truly are a positive bubble of inspiration and it totally reminds me of growing up. Who at 10 collects quotes with her best friend? Glad to know that somethings never change. Love you miss you!