Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A New Book to Love


Once and awhile, a book comes along that melts my heart and inspires my soul. The newest book on my heart-melting, soul-inspiring list is...Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Sommerset Sisters. It's a simple, YA read in the style of E.L. Konigsburg (of The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler), and I loved it! A student of mine recommended it last year to me, and I finally got around to reading it this week. I am SO grateful for students with good taste in literature.

The story is about Cornelia Street Englehart, an eleven-year-old bookish girl living in New York City with her famous concert pianist mother. The novel follows the dual stories of Cornelia's life as well as the stories told to her by the eccentric lady who lives next door (with whom she forges an unlikely friendship). I would tell you more, but I hate it when people give too much information about a book. It's so much more fun to discover it yourself.

Instead, I'll just say this: it's a feast for the imagination that found me both laughing and crying by the end. In a word, it's simply CHARMING!

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I think I will put my name on the Megan Library waiting list for this one. I love charming books!