Monday, August 3, 2009

There's No Place Like Home


I went home to California last week, and I loved every second of it. There's something exhilarating about driving down the highway past rows and rows of fruit trees, knowing that every second you are getting closer to a farmer's market where you can partake of the yumminess! There's something soothing about pulling up to the same lakeside general store you've been going to since before you can remember, and finding out the the night crawlers are still kept in the same spot. There's just something wonderful about going home and being reminded of people and places that are so familiar and that hold so many memories.

I spent the week shopping, going to Huntington Lake, meeting up with friends from high school, eating fabulous food, play Super Scrabble, and watching Center Stage's production of Beauty and the Beast.

It was a great week and many thanks go out to Mom and Dad for all the entertaining they did and for all of the years of memories! Here's to...

Baking hundreds of cookies in 104 degree weather

Picking grapes on the welfare farm and getting slurpies afterwards

Fishing with Dad, even when I wouldn't touch the fish I caught

Sticking labels on thousands of postcard ads for musicals to be mailed all over the valley

Making apricot jam, and apricot fruit leather, and dried apricots, and...who-knows-what-else

Swimming in the pool, trying not to puncture any beach balls on the rose bushes, and failing

Camping, especially waking up to Mom cooking over a camp fire

And all the other fun times we have every time I go home!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

No one appreciates the simple things quite like you do. I'm glad you had a good week. I bet your parents were thrilled to spoil you with happy memories.

Thursday still on?

Melissa said...

Its true, there is no place like home and you are making me miss mine!

Robyn said...

Thanks for making the long drive with me, but as you have said, it was well worth it. I had a great time too and I can't wait to go back for Christmas this year!

Unknown said...

WOW... i forget how much of our lives are tied together. I definitely remember ALL those things and a few more like organizing pantries and painting rooms/duvet covers :) I have to say that we had an amazing childhood (although our 'fun' was a but different than most)

Carol said...

I love having my girls come home (that includes you, Stephanie)as well as the boys. It was a real treat to have you here. Just wished we lived closer to each other.

Paul and Susan said...

Home and family and familiar things and memories are wonderful treasures we have. I'm glad you got to enjoy yours.