Thursday, December 25, 2008

God Bless Us, Every One!

Merry Christmas!

I love Christmas, and everything that comes along with it. I love being at home with my family, sitting in front of the fire, and reading Christmas stories. I love watching Christmas movies, making gingerbread creations, shopping for presents, and eating good food. I love the cool, crisp air and the smell of pine mixed with oranges. I love the kindness that people seem to cultivate in themselves and then pass on to others in greater measure than usual. It is the season of giving.

Most of all, I love the opportunity this time of year gives us to reflect on the life of the Savior of the world, even Jesus Christ. What an amazing thing it is that over 2000 years ago, in a tiny village, unknown to the vast majority of the populace, a baby was born that shook the very fabric of eternity. He was to be the king of kings, and lord of lords. As Isaiah prophesied...

"unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his named shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)

Most people during His lifetime did not acknowledge His true identity as the literal son of God; rather He was mocked and ridiculed. And yet, it is "with His stripes, we are healed." The Savior has perfect love for each of us, and He has dedicated his existence to bringing to pass "the immortality and eternal life of man." What a gift He has given.

May we always remember (as Tiny Tim of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" said) who made lame beggars walk, and blind men see. Each of us has our own maladies, and each of us has a Savior who has conquered them. If we rely on him, he will make us whole again, and we will be able to achieve more than we ever dreamed.

I hope that I might not let the feelings of the Christmas season fade as the coming year wears on. May we all be more like Ebeneezer Scrooge (post-apparitions):

Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more... it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Merry Christmas! I know what you mean about trying to keep the Christmas spirit all year round. I have decided that I am going to try and listen to Christmas music ramdomly through out the year (I know, don't tell Kenny) to see if that helps me remember the massage of the season. I realized this year (being a VERY different year then I am use to) that it is not about the lights and the place you are, it is about being with people you love and sharing that love. Not that I didn't know that before, but it was made very clear this year. I love you and missed you this year, but the great thing is we have forever.

Jeff said...

Merry Christmas! I've always thought how funny it is that we only sing Christmas hymns during this time of year. I've wondered why we can't celebrate the birth of the Savior all year long. It's definitely important to keep that spirit of service and love with us always.