Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Love/Hate Relationship

I have a dilemma. I love finishing books, and I hate finishing books. I love the relief of a long-awaited resolution, of knowing that the problems are all worked out and that life is back to normal. But, that's exactly what I hate, too, because life is never really "back to normal." In life each story leads to another, changing us as we experience new things. I hate saying goodbye to characters, not knowing where their story will take them next. I'm not content to have only one piece of the puzzle; I want to see the whole picture of a human life. Yet, I suppose that is one of th wonders of literature. An author invites you into someone's life for awhile, and you just get a glimpse. Then, you're free to explore and conceive the rest of the life yourself; you can create realities sparked from the imagination held within the pages of a book. What a wonderful opportunity!

In honor of reading, here are some favorites that I've read in the last year or so.



3 comments:

Ann said...

I feel the same way! It's torture getting to the last page and not having any more to read.
I remember thinking once that what I wish most for my own life is that I have that same "what happens next?" feeling for myself. Like the way you desperately want to know what happens the day AFTER Harry beats Voldemort... I want to go to bed at night wondering what's in store for me the next day.

Robyn said...

I know exactly how you feel. I love a great story and I love the resolution, but I want to know more. It is great that there are those who can craft such wonderful tales that inspire a whole world of wonder.

Melissa said...

Me, too, Megan. Me too. There is something so sad about seeing a last page. The worst is when another author tries to write a sequel and ends up ruining characters and undermining the orignal. Yet, i still find myself wanting more sequels.